Can I Expedite N-400 Naturalization Process If I Am A 10-year Green Card Holder?

It’s understandable that if you have gotten to the stage of receiving your 10-year green card that you would want to expedite N-400 Naturalization process.

Once you have had your green card for at least 3 years (if you are still married to the original petitioner) or 5 years if you are no longer with the original petitioner you can file form N-400 for US citizenship through naturalization.

Ways To Expedite Your N-400 US Citizenship Application

There is one exception which will allow you to expedite this process: under 319(b) category – your spouse (USC) is being deployed or on government orders to serve overseas. If this does not apply to you or your spouse you can say goodbye to your chances of expediting the N-400 process.

Once you send in your application for US citizenship you will receive a letter for your biometrics appointment to get your fingerprints taken. Then you need to wait for your interview date from the USCIS and make sure that you have all the documents that they need.

What You Need To Bring To Your N-400 Interview

  • Green card
  • State issued ID
  • Additional documents specific to your case

This process can take anywhere from 3 months to 6 months to complete depending on the case load for the immigration officers. You should already have your 10 year green card so there should be no problems with being out-of-status.

If you are submitting the N-400 form close to the expiration of your greencard, USCIS will send you an extension letter of about one year.

The Process Of Naturalization and US Citizenship


The final step of the US citizenship application is the oath ceremony which can sometimes be emotional for some people. You will receive an appointment letter about the date, time and location of your oath ceremony.

Make sure you get there a little early because you will not be the only new US citizen taking the oath on that same day. You will be asked to turn in your green card at this time.

You will then be asked to answer questions about what you have been doing since your interview. You then take the Oath of Allegiance and finally receive your Certificate of Naturalization which is your proof of US citizenship.



Leave a Reply