fill out I130A

How To Fill Out Form I-130A Supplemental Information For Spouse Beneficiary

Petitioning for a foreign spouse or relative isn’t easy. You have to fill out multiple forms and include a ton of evidence to prove your marriage is real. This can definitely be intimidating but I’m hoping that by breaking down each requirement, it doesn’t seem so scary. I’ve already discussed filling out form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative in a previous post so today we’ll go through the steps on how to fill out form I-130A, supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary.

The I-130A is a brand new form that replaces the old G-325A biographical information form. The new form was introduced April 28, 2017 so make sure you’re using this version and not the G-325A. Thankfully, only the beneficiary needs to fill out the new form because prior to this change, the petitioner also needed to complete the old G-325A.

[cp_modal display=”inline” id=”cp_id_a5ece”][/cp_modal]

This form asks for basic information about the foreign spouse. The types of questions asked relate to your background, employment history, family relationships and address history. The form is only 6 pages so it shouldn’t take too long to complete. Remember, it’s important to have accurate dates especially for your employment and address history.

Does The Beneficiary Need To Sign The Document?

  • Foreign spouse or relative must sign I-130A if residing in the U.S.
  • Foreign spouse does NOT need to sign if living abroad.

Part 1: Information About You (Spouse Beneficiary)

Question  1: If you have ever had a previous US visa, you likely were given an Alien Registration Number and it should be entered here. This is an 8 or 9 digit number that is given to you if you’ve have been given immigration benefits or were put into removal proceedings.

Question 2: This is an account number you may have received during a previous application. If you don’t know what it is, you probably don’t have one so leave it blank.

Questions 3a-3cs: Enter your full legal name. If you’ve recently changed it, include evidence of the name change with the form.

Questions 4-9: These questions ask for your address history for the last five years. If you have moved a lot, this can be irritating to fill out but make sure not to miss any addresses that you’ve lived in during this period.


I130A pg 1

Questions 10-23: Enter your parents names and background information. Immigration officials use this info to do background checks on your family.

Part 2: Information About Your Employment

This section wants to know the immigrants employment history. Of course, if you aren’t working you can simply put “unemployed” or “student”. Many family based visa applications don’t base approval odds on whether the immigrant is employed. This information is useful during the numerous background checks that are run by USCIS and FBI.

If you’ve worked illegally in the U.S., before putting this information down you should talk to an immigration attorney to find out how this will affect your case.

Question 1 – 8: Enter the name, address and dates of employment for the past 5 years. If there are gaps in your employment, just put unemployed. If you worked outside the US, you will be able to include the details on the next page.


i130 pg 2

Part 3: Information About Your Employment Outside The US

This section of the form asks for foreign employment history. Of course, if you were not working overseas you can simply put “unemployed” or “student”.

Question 1-4: Enter the name, address and dates of employment for the past 5 years. If there are gaps in your employment, just put unemployed. You must include any work inside and outside the United States.

Part 4: Spouse Beneficiary Statement & Signature

This section wants you to confirm that you understood what was asked in the form and that you can read and understand English. If you (the immigrant) did not fill out the form yourself, you can include the name of the person who filled it out for you. This is normally your US relative or an attorney you hired.

The purpose of this statement and signature is that you are responsible for the information that is written in the form. USCIS wants to know that the only information submitted was approved by you. The form asks you to swear that all the information is complete, true, and correct. If USCIS finds out that any information on this form is incorrect, it could cause your case to be denied.

Question 1: If you can read or understand English well enough to understand what is being asked on the form, check this box. Even if you understand English, you can still have someone else prepare the form.

Question 2: Enter the name of the person who prepared (filled out) this form.

Questions 3-6: Enter your contact details so that USCIS can contact you if necessary. It’s a great idea to include your email because you can receive receipt notices right to your inbox which is faster than mail.

I-130A part 3

Part 5: Interpreter’s Contact Info & Signature

This section whether someone translated the form to you. If you have trouble reading or understanding English and had someone read the questions to you in your own language, include this person’s information here.

Questions 1-6: Enter the interpreter’s name, mailing address and contact information. If you did not have someone else translate this form to you, write “NA”.

Questions 7: Have the interpreter review the statement that the says that they certify under penalty of perjury that they are fluent in English and the your own language and then sign the document.

Part 6: Preparer’s Contact Info & Signature

Question 1-6: If someone else filled out the information with your help, enter their name, address and contact information. Many cases this will be the U.S. relative that is filling out the form for the immigrant. If so, enter their information.

Part 6: Preparer’s Contact Info & Signature

Question 7-8: The preparer will need to indicate if they are an attorney or not and certify that the information entered is correct. Then the preparer should sign the document.

Who can be a prepare? A U.S. relative, immigration attorney or paralegal. Just about anyone can help you fill out this form if you choose.


Part 7: Additional Information

This section for the form is completely optional. You only need to fill this out if you needed additional space to explain your answer to any question on the form.  If you do want to include additional information here, be sure to enter your name in Questions 1-3, in case this page gets accidentally separated from the other pages of your form.

You’ll also need to back and look for the page number, part number and item number of the question you will be explaining further.


Final Thoughts On How To Fill Out Form I-130A

That’s it. You’ve now completed the I-130A Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary. This new form is not as long as the older G-325A which is a step in the right direction for USCIS. This is just one form that needs to be completed when applying for a spouse or relative visa. Be sure to include it with the entire I-130 petition. Click here for the step-by-step guide on how to prepare the I-130 petition.

Always review every document that you sign to make sure you haven’t missed a question or wrote down the wrong date. This can really delay your visa approval by weeks or months if you are then sent a request for evidence (RFE). If you do make a mistake on the form but have already mailed it, call customer service and ask whether you should wait until USCIS finds this mistake to correct it.

USCIS customer service number is 1-800-375-5283.

They may ask you to wait until your receive a request for evidence (RFE) before sending in additional documents or correcting mistakes. Why? Because the RFE letter will contain special identifiers that will route your response to the right department for processing.

The next step is to start gather evidence needed to prove that you are eligible for the visa you’re applying for. If you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and want to apply for a CR 1 or IR1 visa, read this guide.



Join other long distance couples in our interactive, online community!



migrant academy membership

Don't spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer!  Submit your own CR1 spouse visa petition to USCIS.

online courses

free resources

live coaching

private messaging

document upload

free family account


  1. bruno

    It is very confuse the signature part, why it say. Spouse beneficiary’s signature….. Hwy they not write “beneficiary signature” is easier and won’t make any one confuse.

  2. bruno

    I’m the petitioner , so my wife is the beneficiary.. So I have to sign.? Or my wife .?

  3. Hi Bruno,

    Your wife would have to sign but only if she is currently in the U.S. If she lives abroad, then no signature is required.

  4. Hi Bruno,

    I completely agree with you! It’s very confusing and they should definitely change it to “beneficiary signature”.

  5. Stella

    I’m a beneficiary and my husband is petitioner and also I stay in USA. Is this document written by my husband expect for Spouse beneficiary’s signature or Do I have to fill out everything by myself?

  6. Lerma

    hi just want to ask about my adress,.i am from the Philipines and i only have one permanent resident since birth, then when i work i stayed in next town for some months then back to my hometown…do i only need to write my permanent adress and put date from birth to present?
    what is the best thing to do hope you can help
    we are goin to file Cr1

  7. Hi Stella,

    You don’t have to fill it out and can have your husband do so. Also, if you are the beneficiary and live outside the US no signature is required.

  8. Hi Lerma,

    You should put down the address that you lived at when you worked at that last job. No matter how short of a period of time it was, it’s important to list all address you have lived in the last 5 years. Good luck!

  9. Claudine Nyinba

    I’m confused, I’m the sponsor and my husband the beneficiary who information I’m I suppose to fill out in the form. Mine or my husband

  10. Grant

    Hi. Thanks for this, it’s been helpful. I’m filing for my wife, we were married and live in South Korea and will be filing with the embassy here. My questions are (1) do we need to send supporting documents with our I-130 and I-130A package or afterwards? And (2) given our marriage certificate (and her birth certificate) is not in English, does are translation need to be from a certified translator or could we translate the documents ourselves?

  11. Hi Claudine, the I-130a should be filled out by the beneficiary which would be your husband. If he is abroad you can complete the form for him and he doesn’t have to sign it unless he currently lives in the US.

  12. Hi Grant, make sure to submit your supporting evidence with the I-130 and I-130a. Translation doesn’t need to be from a certified translator but the person translating it must certify that they are fluent in both languages and that the translation is accurate. This requires a simple letter they can write and sign their name.

  13. tianzuo xi

    Hi Ayan,
    I have more than 2 physical address in the past 5 years, where could I enter them? really confusing.

  14. George

    Hi AYAN, i file form I-130 and I-130A i got a receipt # to confirm that they received my application and fees however i don’t know i have to send additional documents,if i had known i would have sent already. However i just received a letter state my application had denied. Can you advise what should i do next

  15. Hi George,

    You didn’t say what document you forgot to send with your petition. But generally, you should not send additional documents unless USCIS has requested it by sending you a request for evidence (RFE). Since they denied the petition, you should reapply and submit everything together.

Leave a Reply