My Husband Entered On A CR-1 Visa, But Is Now Abusive, How Do I Remove Him From My House And Divorce Him?

Verbal or physical abuse is never okay. If you are in a situation where you feel that you are threatened with violence, you need to remove yourself from this dangerous environment.

Immigration does not take kindly to violent green card holders, however, you need to make sure you have some evidence because the burden of proof is on you.

The first thing to do is to stay with friends or family until you can get him out of your home. Report any form of physical or verbal abuse to the appropriate authorities so that there are records of your complaints.

How Do I Get My Abusive Spouse Out Of My House?

husband-move-outReview the family laws in your state, and request the sheriffs department, or local police, to witness him evacuating your home if you fear him physically hurting you.

Be sure to change the locks on all your doors immediately and look into filing a restraining order against your abusive husband.

Unfortunately, a restraining order does not guarantee that he will not break it and visit your home again so if you truly fear for your safety, stay somewhere else temporarily.

Does The I-864 Affidavit of Support Expire Once We Divorce?

Unfortunately, your obligation under the I-864 (affidavit of support) does not terminate after a divorce. You will still be held liable if your ex-husband receives any means-tested government benefits.

Although it is rare that the government will actually sue you for reimbursement, you need to understand that it is a possibility.

The only way that your obligations are terminated are when your ex-husband has worked 10 quarters or has become a U.S. citizen.

Can I Get My Abusive Ex-Husband Deported If I Have Proof Of The Abuse?

Illegal immigrants, shackled at the wrists and ankles, are searched before boarding a charter flight at Kansas City International Airport, run by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Department, November 21, 2008.You will not be able to get him deported. Only the USCIS can make this final decision, however, you are free to set up an info pass appointment to provide them with any evidence.

This can make it more difficult for him when he applies to renew his green card or apply for citizenship.

Once someone has a green card, they no longer need their U.S. citizen spouse or ex-spouse to remove the conditions on their green card or to renew it.

You will also not be able to get any information from the USCIS about his future applications.

FREE CR1 Mini Course
Quickly Get Approved
For A CR1 Spouse Visa.
6 lessons delivered right to your inbox.

The Ultimate Guide To

Download the FREE eBook.
visa interview ebook

Leave a Reply

Notify of