Updated: 1/30/2019

What Is Removal of Conditions?

2year-greencardA permanent resident is given the privilege of living and working in the United States permanently.

A person’s permanent residence status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day they were given permanent residence.

A person is also given conditional resident status on the day they are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa (having been married less than two years and entering on a CR-1 Visa).

A person’s permanent resident status is conditional, because they must prove that they did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States.

Removal of Conditions Interview Questions

Do You Qualify For ROC?

If you are filing jointly, the I-751 form must be filed within the 90 days just preceding the expiration date on your permanent residence card (green card).

If you and your spouse live outside the United States on orders of the U.S. Government during the period in which the petition must be filed, you may file it within 90 days of your return to the United States.

It is very important to file the I-751 within the correct window of time, and be sure not to file it before the 90-day window.

If you file it too early, USCIS will return your application. You may file at any time during the 90 day window, but it is prudent to file as early in the window as you can.

If you fail to properly file the Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) within the 90-day period before your second anniversary as a conditional resident, your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated and the USCIS will order removal proceedings against you.

You will receive a notice from the USCIS telling you that you have failed to remove the conditions on your green card, and you will also receive a Notice to Appear at a hearing.

At the hearing you may review and rebut the evidence against you. You are responsible for providing proof that you complied with the requirements (the USCIS is not responsible for proving that you did not comply with the requirements).

The USCIS may send a reminder to file this petition on time, however you should not rely on this reminder — postal delivery is never without faults. Not receiving the letter is not an excuse for filing late.

Forms Needed To File For ROC

Cover Sheet [download]

I-751 Petition To Remove The Conditions on Residence [download]

For a conditional resident who obtained status through marriage to apply to remove the conditions on his or her residence.

Copy of Marriage Certificate (translated if necessary)

Copy Of Your Green Card

(Front and Back) for the person filing to remove conditions (and any children)

Evidence of Bona fide Marriage

  • Birth certificate of children (if any and born within the marriage)
  • Bank statements – print 4 statements per year since marriage
  • Affidavits from 2 people that have known you both since adjustment of status.
  • Evidence of continuous residence
  • Joint tax transcripts – last 2 years transcripts requested from the IRS
  • Joint credit cards – must show both names and address
  • Life insurance policies – must show each other as beneficiaries
  • Investment accounts – must show both names/address
  • Joint mortgage/deed to home – must show both names
  • Joint health insurance – must show both names/address

**more examples of evidence below

Assembling The I-751 Package

Payment: as required by USCIS. Use a personal check so you can track the payment. Money Orders are also accepted. Make check payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (Fee $595.00 + $85 Biometrics = $680)

Cover Letter:[download]

Form I-751: Petition for Alien Relative [download]

A copy of petitioner’s proof of permanent residency. (green card)

Evidence of a bonafide marriage (see examples below)

Make a copy of the entire I-751 petition for your own records.

Evidence of Bona Fide Marriage

Include the following to show co-mingling of finances:

  • Bank statements
  • Joint tax transcripts
  • Joint credit cards
  • Life insurance policies
  • Investment accounts
  • Joint mortgage/deed to home
  • Joint health insurance

Other types of good evidence that you should include:

  • Joint apartment lease
  • Joint car ownership
  • Joint car insurance
  • Joint loans/debt
  • Utility bills in both names
  • Cell phone family plans
  • Family photos together
  • Itineraries for trips together

Where to Send Your I-751 Packet

If you live in:

Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota,, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

P.O. BOX 21200
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

Attn: I-751
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034

If you live in:

Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington, D.C., Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, West Virginia

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

P.O. BOX 660480
Dallas, TX 75266

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

Attn: I-751
2501 S State Hwy 121 Business
Suite 400

Lewisville, TX 75067

Note: Please check the USCIS.gov website to confirm mailing address hasn’t changed.

Only send copies of these documents, you will need to bring the originals to the interview.

What Happens After You Send Your I-751

The I-751 form and accompanying documents are mailed to either the USCIS California or Vermont Service Centers depending on your state of residence. Use certified mail or priority mail with delivery confirmation, and write “Attention: I-751 petition to remove conditions of status” on the envelope under the address.

You will receive a notice of receipt (NOA) for the form stating that “Your alien card is extended one year – employment and travel authorized“. Keep this letter with your old green card.

If you are not approved within a year of this letter, you will need to make an InfoPass appointment at your Local Office to request an I-551 stamp in your passport extending your conditional permanent resident status.

This extension letter is your only evidence of legal status so keep it in a safe place.

You may or may not be called for an interview after you submit the I-751 petition. You may be required to do a biometrics (photo and finger prints) at your local application service center (ASC) before the interview is scheduled.

If you are selected for an interview, it will be at your local USCIS office and will be given a time and date on the interview letter you received.

If you are not required to have an interview, your new Green Card will be mailed to you. I-751 cases are generally completed in 6-12 months.

Once you receive the 10-year green card, it should be renewed every 10 years or you can apply for naturalization (U.S. citizenship) when eligible.


  1. zakima99

    I-751 cases are generally completed in 6-12 months?
    6-12 months from the filling date or from figure prints date?
    assume I have filled on 01/01/2016 ( will be 6-12 months from this date), say my figure print was on 04/05/2016( will be 6-12 months from this date). ?

  2. Ayan

    Hi Zakima,

    Great question! It is taking closer to 12 months for cases right now but I’ve seen them take as little at 6 or 7 months for some. USCIS is processing cases that were submitted May 2016 right now but if you submitted yours January 2016, you should have received a decision by now unless there was a request for evidence sent to you or some other issue that caused a delay.

    Did USCIS ask for more information or documents from you? You can call Nation Customer Service Center line to get more information about your case and why processing is being delayed. 1-800-375-5283

  3. Uyen Donovan

    I just received a letter of approval of my 10 year green card. But I am outside the US right now. My 2 year green card (conditional green card) was extended until 4/13/2018. So:
    Is my extended 2 year green card going to be cancelled when the 10 year green card is approved and mailed to me?
    Can I still use my extended 2 year green card to re-enter the US before it expires? Because I don’t feel like to have my newly issued 10 year green card mailed overseas.

    I immensely appreciate your time and help.

    Sincerely yours,

    Uyen Donovan

  4. Hi Uyen,

    No, your 2 year extension will not be canceled right away but when you receive your 10 year GC you should use that instead of the extension letter. You should be fine using the extension letter as proof of permanent residence to re-enter the U.S.

  5. Lin Wu

    I filed my I-751 in March 2017 and it was within the 90 day window. Then my husband received his Government Orders a couple of months later. As such, I could not attach the orders to my application. We have moved to the UK as per orders. Prior to moving to the UK, I received a 1 year extension stamp in my passport from the local USCIS office. I received the extension in July 2017. It’s now March 2018. I’m worried. What if my stamp expires in July 2018 and I still have not yet been issued the 10 year GC? How can I return to the US? Should I go visit the London USCIS office before July 2018? Thanks so much!

Leave a Reply